Michael Van de Elzen has added a twist to the classic meatballs in tomato sauce by using our "Good From Scratch" Angus Beef & Beetroot meatballs. Try this quick, easy and hearty option, served with polenta.
1x 420g packet of Green Meadows Beef Angus Beef & Beetroot Meatballs
3 tbsp olive oil
1 litre water
2 x 400g tins crushed tomatoes
280g quick cool polenta
approx half cup grated parmesan
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, diced
4 tbsp chopped basil
1/2 cup chopped herbs - parsley, rosemary and thyme
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
2. Start by making the tomato sauce. Heat a tbspn of olive oil in a heavy saucepan. Saute the onion and garlic until soft but not coloured. Add the chopped herbs and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Deglaze the saucepan with the chopped tomatoes and simmer until reduced by half. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. While the sauce is simmering, heat 2 tbspn of olive oil in an oven-proof frying pan. Fry the meatballs until lightly browned.
4. Pour the hot tomato sauce over the meatballs. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
5. To cook the polenta, bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Sprinkle in polenta while whisking. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until thick, stirring continuously. When cooked, remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan and mascarpone (reserve some of the parmesan for serving). Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
6. To serve, spoon meatballs and sauce over the polenta. Garnish with grated parmesan and basil.